Thursday, February 17, 2011

Fathers, daughters in a relationship close to the heart - The National

Fathers, daughters in a relationship close to the heart - The National: "Birthdays have been celebrated for as long as there have been calendars in one form or another, often public commemorations for influential figures. These days pretty much everybody, regardless of background, age or religion, celebrates their day of birth.

This week, I celebrated two very important birthdays on the same day for two of my revered fathers. One is the father of all Muslims, Prophet Mohammed, whose sacred message is carried and cherished in every Muslim's heart. The other father is my own, whose private messages are held dear in my own heart and have been reflected throughout different stages of my life.

'Happy birthday, father! Would you like anything special this year?' I ask each year over the telephone, a ritual established since I left home for education and work."

No comments:

Post a Comment